Monday 23 January 2012

Dietary Concerns and Carbohydrate Refeeding

I am entering my third week on a Paleo / Primal eating plan in an attempt to lean out and lose unwanted fat weight and for the most part, it is easier than I expected. How could it not be when you have eggs and bacon to look forward to for breakfast! I am hovering about 300 kcal below maintenance on average and found the most challenging aspect is learning to eat less. Previously I was eating huge amounts of lean protein, moderate carbohydrates and low fat. Now with high fat, moderate protein and low carbohydrates, gauging fat intake to stay below maintenance levels is critical as it is easy to go over daily caloric requirements if you do not reduce the volume of food consumed. An online food log source such as Calorie Counter is an invaluable tool to track daily caloric intake. Some of those that advocate a Paleo, Primal or a general low carbohydrate eating lifestyle claim that calorie counting is not a requirement as it is not fat that make us fat; it is that “evil” carbohydrate. I am not yet convinced although I see the validity in the statement but in perspective of what is eaten, when and how much. To err on the side of caution, I still weigh and log my food to track daily macro nutrient and caloric intake but analyze over the course of a week due to the daily fluctuations in both caloric input and output. I would encourage tracking calories as a requirement more so on a high fat diet.

During these last two weeks I have been concerned about the loss of both lean muscle mass and strength, decreasing levels of energy and stamina and of course fat gain. My protein intake is approximately 1g per pound of body weight which I understand is necessary to preserve lean muscle mass. My workouts in the gym on Monday and Wednesday were great, no loss of strength on both days and actually lifted heavier. Friday however was another story but it is too early to determine if strength has been affected as my sleep was short and restless. Although my scale tells me my fat % is increasing (by a whopping 4%!), the mirror is telling me otherwise as I can see a difference both in my mid section and legs. Veins are starting to reappear on the surface of my quadriceps which tells me my legs are leaning out. Going forward I'll rely more on the mirror and skin fold pinch tests and less on that “lying” scale!

As for my energy and stamina concerns during cycling workouts, anything you read these days emphasizes the necessity of a full glycogen tank for training. But is that need too broad? After all, these authors are writing for the masses. Can I get away with less in the tank for shorter intense workouts? Logic would suggest glycogen would come in handy when energy demands are needed at an accelerated rate during high intensity workouts. What about longer less intense workouts? Again, logic would suggest that your body could obtain its energy from local fat stores as the energy demands are lower giving you body time to convert fat to glucose. My cycling workouts presently range from an hour to two and a half hours in length. The intensity is currently low to moderate. In the coming weeks my mid week sessions will become more intense while my weekend sessions will remain long in duration and low to moderate in intensity. I have yet to experience any ill effects while cycling however to err on the side of caution, I have decided to include a 48 hour carbohydrate refeed cycle in my week.

The carbohydrate refeed will replenish depleted glycogen stores and provide me with an adequate amount of energy to complete the workouts without concern. Initially I will start the reefed cycle on the Friday morning and end it Saturday night to coincide with my longer, less intense weekend workouts (and meal time with the family) but will continue to evaluate myself during and after the shorter more intense workouts during the week. Should I find the higher intensity workouts are affected, I will adjust the reefed cycle. The reefed will be high in carbohydrates (=> 60%) and low in fat (<= 10%) and I’ll only consume lean proteins such as unprocessed tilapia fillets. I'll continue to maintain a caloric deficit to further encourage fat loss.  Having completed my first reefed cycle this past weekend, simply eating natural carbohydrate sources such as potato, sweet potato, vegetables and oats (yes for the reefed I will also break away from the no grains approach of Paleo / Primal), will enable me to consume the required amount of carbohydrates and fat without much effort… excluding the effort of consuming a larger volume of food than I would on a high fat diet.

In the two weeks while being on a Paleo / Primal eating plan and the initial week of intermittent fasting, I have lost the 8lbs of weight gained since September plus an additional 2lbs putting me down to 158lbs; my lowest I achieved last year. I suspect some of this weight loss is due to glycogen depletion and the accompanying hydration loss. The carbohydrate reefed on the weekend added 2lbs so I’ll use that as a measure going forward. Cross my fingers and hope this is all attributed to fat loss and not lean muscle mass!

No comments:

Post a Comment